March 6, 2023
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Location: England-based; close to our Witney office would be an advantage
Donaldson Timber Systems is part of the Donaldson Group. Established in 1860, Donaldson Group is one of UK’s largest, privately owned timber companies. We are a family of 11 businesses, ranging from B2B, retail, ecommerce, all with shared values and a common vision, driven by the desire to always do good. We are focused on always providing a number one customer experience, embracing innovation, and doing things in a sustainable way, not just for our business but also for the communities we operate in. But most of all, our People are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we are committed to nurturing and empowering our 1,500+ colleagues across the UK.
We are ambitious about diversity and inclusion. If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We specifically encourage female candidates and those from minoritised ethnic groups to apply for this post as they are currently underrepresented in the manufacturing and construction sectors of our organisation.
Our Timber Systems division is the UK’s leading designer and manufacturer of timber frame building solutions, specialising in off-site construction. We work on over 150 live projects per year, supporting customers on-site and building timber kits across our two bespoke factories in Westhill – Aberdeenshire, Witney – Oxfordshire and in an additional hub space in Falkirk. We have regional offices in Aberdeenshire, Glasgow and Witney and the team operate across several sectors primarily private housing, affordable housing but also student accommodation, healthcare, hotels, and education. Working with market-leading precision-engineered build systems, architects, surveyors and design teams, the division delivers noticeable benefits for our clients.
Our success has been built from our ability to build long-term relationships with clients, becoming an integral part of their business process with our complete service solution. Our services cover concept design information and technical guidance, full design service, manufacture, delivery and construction on site.
Reporting to the Head of Estimating, you will be a key member of the estimating team, with responsibility for delivering commercial aspects of projects from pre-tender through to completion of our bid. The role will see you work closely with the Key Account team, review project information, assess the viability of projects, engage key functions within the business to assist with pricing and allowances, provide advice and guidance to the team and use our ERP system to build the quotation.
We will offer you the chance to develop your skills further through our performance management process giving you the opportunity to progress your career either within the Timber Systems Division or across other Divisions within the Group.
- Prepare and report to the Estimating Manager, elements that will influence cost/margin and quality, monitoring trends on price and materials to pre agreed Business Plan targets;
- Prepare commercially & technically competitive tenders:
- identify, analyse and highlight relevant matters and risk within proposals for submission;
- ensure accuracy & competitiveness of the quotation in line with required specification
- translate quotation for the customer, meeting their expectations in terms of time of return;
- Build & maintain effective working relationships with internal project teams, in particular technical, to maximise effective and efficient preparation of quotations;
- Use the ERP system to build the quotation to be incorporated into the bid documentation;
- Maximise the benefits of and deliver continuous improvement to current business process.
Essential Technical Expertise
- Evidence of knowledge of construction aspects, preferably joinery & timber frame or timber engineering;
- Ability to analyse architect/engineers drawings in preparation of quotations within timber frame industry;
- Evidence of commercial contractual knowledge;
- High level of Microsoft Office Skills, particularly spreadsheets.
Salary and Benefits
We are proud to develop our employees, offering career development and promotion opportunities across the Group.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Generous Holiday Entitlement
- Life Assurance
- Pension Scheme
- Flexible Benefits Package, including – Cycle to Work, Gym membership
If this sounds like the right step for your career, please apply to DTScareers@donaldsontimbersystems.com