August 11, 2020
The MOD awarded their relocation scheme at Salisbury Plain to regeneration experts Lovell, involving the construction of over 917 homes across three sites in 2 years, to a strict deadline. To achieve this, offsite timber frame was the solution. The construction of the 450 properties at the Larkhill site was divided equally between two timber specialists – Stewart Milne Timber Systems and Taylor Lane Timber Frame – an unusual approach. The companies set milestones with their speed of build. With a handover rate of 16 houses every 10 days, the fast-track homes project is an industry exemplar and actively promoted by both companies as the future of building.
The achievement reached on the Larkhill site has been phenomenal – 2 rival companies building on site at the same time, both in timber frame, both increasing the number of plots built on site from 10 to 16 to meeting extraordinary completion deadlines. This shows what can be achieved when a collaborative, transparent and organised approach is taken by both parties.
- Collaboration – Rival companies successfully working together on site. Both teams worked with Lovell from concept and design to current onsite build.
- Speed of build. Both companies delivered 5 units a week, accelerated to a combined 16 units being completed on site every ten days. This project delivered exceptional levels of design, detail and delivery evidenced by delivering up to 16 units per week over 34 weeks.
- Specification of the product. Found best solution to achieve thermal performance via design for manufacture, reduced risk, deliverability, ease of construction on site.
- Reduced impact on local community and on the environment. Speed of build meant reduced loads, reduced traffic, fewer people on site, lower community impact.
- This £250 million contract is part of Lovell’s largest ever scheme.
- Daily meetings held by SMTS, TL and Lovell ensured exceptional communication between all parties. Both specialists showed great mutual respect regarding their shared objective.
- Lovell requested certain key components be sourced through single suppliers to ensure consistency of finish. Both specialists were happy to work on this basis.
- On time on budget delivery of the project. Everyone stepped up to meet the deadlines.