Vacancy Type: Full Time
Location: Witney – Oxfordshire, Tannochside and Westhill- Aberdeenshire
Hours per week:
Donaldson Timber Systems is part of the Donaldson Group. Established in 1860, Donaldson Group is one of UK’s largest, privately owned timber companies. We are a family of 11 businesses, ranging from B2B, retail, ecommerce, all with shared values and a common vision, driven by the desire to always do good. We are focused on always providing a number one customer experience, embracing innovation, and doing things in a sustainable way, not just for our business but also for the communities we operate in. But most of all, our People are at the heart of everything we do, which is why we are committed to nurturing and empowering our 1,500+ colleagues across the UK.
We are ambitious about diversity and inclusion. If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We specifically encourage female candidates and those from minoritised ethnic groups to apply for this post as they are currently underrepresented in the manufacturing and construction sectors of our organisation.
Our Timber Systems division is the UK’s leading designer and manufacturer of timber frame building solutions, specialising in off-site construction. We work on over 350 live projects per year, supporting customers on-site and building timber kits across our two bespoke factories in Westhill – Aberdeenshire, Witney – Oxfordshire and in an additional hub space in Falkirk. We have regional offices in Aberdeenshire, Glasgow and Witney and the team operate across several sectors including, private housing, affordable housing, student accommodation, medical facilities, hotels, and education. Working with market-leading precision-engineered build systems, architects, surveyors and design teams, the division delivers noticeable benefits for our clients.
Our success has been built from our ability to build long-term relationships with clients, becoming an integral part of their business process with our complete service solution. Our services cover concept design information and technical guidance, full design service, manufacture, delivery and construction on site.
Reporting to the Senior Design Technician the role is undertake the design of timber frame superstructures, roofs, joinery and quantify associated components in accordance with the customer’s architectural designs, the agreed specification, the structural engineering and all to the required budgetary costs and requisite quality standards.
In keeping with the specific importance given to Health & Safety and the Environment by the Donaldson Group you have specific accountabilities as set out in our Corporate Responsibility for Health & Safety and Environmental Policy.
- Deliver design which meets criteria for customer service, HSE&Q, budgetary limitations and working within the standard system protocols
- Ensure accuracy of pre-design, production for walls floors, roofs, setting out and detail drawings; fabrication for steel, stair flights etc, quantification and creation of Bills of Materials for all structural and joinery components, document control
- Ensure design meets agreed standards for programme compliance, quality and materials budget
- Ensure designs are value engineered to support internal and external customers with design related queries
- Proactively offer appropriate solutions using alternative materials and possible post contract variations
Essential Technical Expertise
- Effective communication
- Demonstrate excellent organisational skills, ability to manage & report information
- A good working knowledge of AutoCAD
- A good working knowledge of Consultec timber frame software or similar e.g. Mitek Wood Engine
- Demonstrate knowledge of the construction industry, preferably timber frame.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of timber frame design.
Salary and Benefits
We are proud to develop our employees, offering career development and promotion opportunities across the Group.
- Competitive Salary
- Bonus Scheme
- Generous Holiday Entitlement
- Life Assurance
- Pension Scheme
- Flexible Benefits Package, including – Cycle to Work, Gym membership